Um... anyone out there??

If anyone is still listening, hi from the blog that hasn't been updated in five years...

I kind of drifted away from playing Sims a while ago, although these stories were still bubbling away in the back of my mind. Then a few months ago, bored silly while stuck at home with Covid, I started playing again. And once I was playing, I started to think about blogging. Blogging my stories and being part of the community around that used to be one of my favorite things.

I thought about starting a new blog with new sims, or some kind of spin off from Richmond, but kept coming back to the one I'd left hanging. It would be silly to start something new when there is so much backstory here. A few years have passed in Richmond since I left off, so it's a fresh start in a sense anyway.

There have been some changes in my game, too. When I remade Richmond in TS3, there was a lot about the game I didn't understand. I made the mistake of putting Richmond and Redwood City in one large world - it was great to have a city with a suburb over the hill and sims travelling freely between the two, but it wasn't made for the number of sims I have. I also opened up the immigration setting in Nraas Story Progression, and added all kinds of buildings with registers that needed NPCs... it was overpopulated and chaotic and freezing and crashing pretty much every time I played.

Thanks to the wonders of Nraas Traveler, I have now split Richmond and the city into two smaller linked worlds, without the other mistakes I made in the first version. The game is running much smoother with no freezes or crashes, and playing is fun again. To counter the reduced space in my new worlds, there will be more sims moving away now, but not to become unplayable. Using Traveler I will be playing them in the linked worlds they have moved to. It also means I can play more of the fantastic worlds I have come across, while still keeping this story going.

I don't know if there's still an audience for this kind of blog. I see there are people still doing them, and I've been catching up on those blogs, too, between working to revive this one. I don't know how regularly I'll post updates around r/l stuff. I might only post one update a month. It doesn't sound like much, but if I'd done even that for the last five years we'd be a lot further ahead here than we are now. They might not be as long or wordy, either, although the first round probably will be given that over three sim years have passed and quite a few things have changed for some of these guys.

There are a couple of updates sitting around in draft now. Time to get started again and see where it goes...


Comments

  1. Well, here is one fellow Sims blogger who is still around, and looking forward to you picking up Richmond Sims again :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had a quick look at your blog, and its so nice to see some familiar names and faces from TS2. I will have fun catching up on it.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you around again! I'm still going, though not as frequently as I used to. Hoping to have a new update out in the next couple of weeks though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Your updates can't have been as infrequent as mine, at least! Looking forward to catching up on it.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! It’s so great to see you on here again! I’m glad you’ll be picking up Richmond again, rather than starting something new. Not that starting new isn’t fun (Lord knows I’ve started and abandoned so many new things over the years, lol!), but there’s a special joy in picking away at these long long sagas that we do.

    I remember really liking Traveler when I was still on TS3. And splitting into smaller worlds is probably the way to go. I never got any world to run well on TS3, but my most successful projects were when I used Traveler and my sims were split between two worlds.

    As for audience, well, it’s not the same as 2010 days. Most people are on Tumblr, I think. And the popular style is different over there–fancy posed pictures, text overlays, lots of Reshade. But I still get a couple clicks on my blog, too. Mostly from people who were around back in the day. I don’t think the youngins do blogs these days, lol! So I try to do both, and always will, even if my blog is just for me and my archives. But, IMO, I don’t know how anyone prefers to read a story on Tumblr rather than a blog.

    Looking forward to catching up with you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm enjoying getting back into this. I know what you mean about blogging just as an archive for yourself - one of the things that made me want to start this again was going through and re-reading some of my old posts and remembering the characters and their stories and the gameplay behind them.

      I'm not having too much trouble with the game now that I'm using smaller worlds - the occasional crash, but no more than any game I play, and that probably has more to do with my modding every game within an inch of its life. The Nraas mods are probably even more efficient now, there are things like Smooth Patch, and even several years of updated graphics drivers have probably made a difference.

      I remember using Tumblr to post outtakes and the like, back in the day, but I could never get my head around using it for stories. I took another look and it still confuses me, lol, will probably give it a try though.

      Delete
  4. i am still around too with a few blogs too. i would certainly start reading again if you posted

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Popular Posts